Grandparents are always a
nice thing to have as you grow up, some kids never have the chance to grow up
with them but for me I am so glad to have them in my life up to this day. Ever
since I was a little kid my maternal grandma and grandpa would always take care
of me while both my parents went to work. Every day I would spend time with
either one in different places like for instance I would help my grandma weave
her rug or go with my grandpa to the horse corral. As I hung out with them more
often they began to teach me a lesson, to never forget who I am and where I
came from.
Sometimes they would remind me but most times I would
learn it on my own especially when I helped them out with stuff. I remember
when I was small I would always sit there with my grandma and get in the way by
trying to help her weave her rug but for some reason she would never get mad at
me. To this day I think she wanted me to learn how to weave even though it was
a lady thing but I did not care, as long as I kept a tradition going. Every time my family butchers, my grandpa
would always tell me how to take apart the meat, lucky enough I was listening
so now I can take it apart myself like a true Navajo. Today, I always get
flashbacks of how they stepped in to raise me and to help my struggling
parents.
Every time I go to my grandma’s house she always has to
give me that speech. That speech were she tells me to not do something stupid
that I will regret and give our family a bad reputation. So in my head I know I
represent the Towering House Clan (One of the first original Navajo Clans) so
my attitude changes to be a better person and do the best to my abilities for
my family. When I communicate to them it is hard for me since they only
understand Navajo, so this pushes me harder to learn more of my language and
keep my language alive before it dies out. The last thing is my grandma tells
me to come home after I go to college and make something of myself. Always
telling me never to forget the place I was born and raised, keeps reminding me
of this once small rez boy that grew up on the reservation.
No comments:
Post a Comment